Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Not Ashamed to Call Them Brethren

It has been a long week-and-a-half here in the Red River Valley. Many have given of their time, energy, blood (especially anyone holding a sandbag while I shoveled), sweat, and tears. [It's not my fault ...I'm a "computer guy", I'm just not very good with tools. I learned that quickly during the sandbagging efforts and opted to be a "holder" or a "passer" instead!]

But, I digress...

I wanted to send a "thank-you" out to my two brothers who over the past week have demonstrated again and again that money isn't everything--despite what the world (and the media) might tell us.

Jared has basically lived in OakPort Township north of Moorhead since the flood fight began. You can read about some of his exploits here and here on his family blog. He has devoted his time, effort and resources into helping that little community survive the flood of 2009.

Jalon has taken the employees at Mill Creek Custom Cabinets out several days for sandbagging around people's houses that they don't even know. He's also spent a fair amount of time at the FargoDome making, passing (or tossing!), and stacking sandbags.

I'm proud to call them my brothers--because they consistently demonstrate to me an example of hard work (1 Corinthians 10:31), concern for others (Philippians 2:4), and genuine faith lived out by works (James 2:18).

I know there are heroes throughout our community this week--I'm just blessed to call two of them my brothers also.

[Yes, I realize that Hebrews 2:11 isn't talking about our relationship with our flesh-and-blood brothers. It is our Lord who is "not ashamed" of us as believers. But the title seemed to fit my thoughts, so please pardon the usage of the phrase out of its typical context.]

1 comment:

kathy said...

Amen.....all THREE of my boys are earthly heroes. I'm thankful for each one and the help they have taken to fight the flood. Dad