Saturday, January 22, 2011

True Sons of God

"I know that you are Abraham's descendants,
but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.
I speak what I have seen with My Father,
and you do what you have seen with your father"
- John 8:37-38

"If God were your Father, you would love me,
for I proceeded forth and came from God;
nor have I come of myself, but He sent me"
- John 8:42

Jesus was essentially making the same point He made in verse 39--sonship is shown by obedience. Jesus put it very simply later in His ministry: "If you love Me, keep My commandments" (John 14:15). True sons of God show their love for Him by obeying His Son, not by persecuting His Son.

Do you see the two points Jesus has made to the Pharisees? He said: "Don't tell Me you're children of Abraham, because if you were children of Abraham, you would do the things that Abraham loved; but you hate the things that Abraham loved. And don't claim to be children of God, because if you were children of God, you would love the things of God; but you hate the things of God."

- R.C. Sproul in John

No comments: