Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Accounting for Our Losses, Crosses, and Persecutions

We have here one among many beautiful illustrations of the mind of Christ. He sees all that His people go through for His sake, and feels for all, from the highest to the lowest. He keeps account of all their losses, crosses, and persecutions. "Are they not all written in His book?" (Psalm 56:8) He knows how to come to their hearts with consolation in their time of need, and to speak peace to them when all men seem to hate them. The time when men forsake us is often the very time when Christ draws near, saying, "Fear not, for I am with you--be not dismayed, for I am your God--I will strengthen you--yes, I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

- J.C. Ryle in The Gospel of John

No comments: