Monday, December 6, 2010

Mom Is Now a Published Author

There's a bit of hoopla in Fargo these days because of one gentleman's negative reaction to the Salvation Army bell ringers. I won't link to his opinion here, but this quote from another Fargo resident provides a sufficient summary:

I had to read over Richard Kodadek’s bile-filled letter to the editor (Nov. 29) several times. Is this guy for real, I asked myself? Is this a bad joke? Or could someone be so foul of a human being as to have such a negative and hateful attitude? ... You obviously have little compassion for others, no concept of the good deeds that said bell-ringers do, and absolutely no knowledge of the law. You are, in my opinion, a sad, misguided man.

I hope Santa reads your letter and puts you on the appropriate list, and it won’t be the one labeled “nice,” I can guarantee you that.

Mom has been taking the grandchildren out to ring the bell--and responded much more kindly (though no less honestly) to Mr. Kodadek in a letter to the editor in our local newspaper:

At the end of our 2½-hour shift, our red kettle was filled to the brim with gifts from grateful people. My grandchildren were so excited that there were so many people who would give to those who have less. I was grateful for the opportunity to live out what I teach. Grateful my grandchildren have an opportunity to help those in need. Grateful for Hornbacher’s welcoming the Salvation Army. Grateful for each person who, joyfully, placed their resources in the red kettle.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thankful for Godly grandparents who take the time to teach what they "preach." You are blessed.