Sunday, July 18, 2010

Moses MY Servant

"Moses my servant is dead."
~ Joshua 1:2
"Moses my servant" Do you not detect the accent of pride in the pronoun which indicates possession? God does not refer to this man as though he were the property of the race from which he sprang. He does not speak of him as your emancipator and benefactor, your leader and law-giver. He uses the term which relates him to himself in a bond which never can be broken. The ties of kinship and chieftainship are all subordinated to the deeper and more enduring claim.

He was theirs only in a secondary sense--lent to them for a season to guard and guide; but the divine proprietorship was primary and perpetual, never to be surrendered or obscured.

"My servant," for my fingers fashioned him; "my servant," for my hands ordained him to the ministry of my will; "my servant," for I put my Spirit upon him, and filled him with wisdom and girt him with power; "my servant," admitted to my great household, and from my presence he shall go out no more.

~ R. Moffat Gautrey (The Glory of Going On)

No comments: