Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Love Is...

Commenting on 1 Corinthians 13:5-6, G.B. Williamson writes in Holiness for Every Day:
Love is not blind but it is fair. It is quick to see wrong, but it does not withdraw mercy for the wrongdoer. Love inspires automatic reaction against rumor and gossip. It will have no part in "spreading evil surmises injurious to the good name of others." Love thinketh no evil.

The Christian in whose heart the love of God is shed abroad will base no conclusions upon his unfounded misgivings. He will argue against his mistrust until proof is established. He accepts the principle that all are innocent until proved guilty. When guilt is established, he grieves that he must admit the evidence is sufficient.

Jesus knew well the long record of rejection of God and willful transgression of His law by the people of Jerusalem. But His pronouncement of judgment was spoken in a heartbreaking lament. Love rejoiceth not in iniquity. It forbids repeating a damaging story even if regrettably true, except to protect an innocent person from being misled.

Can love render judgment upon the guilty? Yes, because justice administered in love can be redemptive. It leads to repentance. Love allows final condemnation only on the finally impenitent.

Love rejoices in the truth. A mind enlightened by the Spirit, whose fruit is love, accepts the truth with its implications even if its sharp, cutting edge brings self-condemnation. Such a Spirit-guided person will not defend himself by clever rationalization. He will admit he is wrong and amend his ways. The truth makes men free and whole.
Devotions are supposed to be an encouraging thing right? But, truth be told, I found myself more convicted than encouraged after reading this.

I am guilty of withdrawing mercy from the wrongdoer. I have argued in favor of my mistrust-- even occasionally when proof has been established otherwise. I have (yes, even in my Christian walk) repeated a true-but-damaging story.

Please pray for me for a mind enlightened by the Spirit that is bearing fruit of love. Pray that having admitted my wrong, I will amend my ways. I do love the truth--and I want to be free and whole!

1 comment:

Melissa Gail said...

I think we all need prayer in this area - thank you for sharing this and I will be specifically praying the Lord would show all of us what true love really is.