Sunday, May 10, 2009

Will You Marry Me?

Thirteen years ago today I asked Lois to marry me...obviously, she said, "Yes".

Eric and Jennifer Wiinanen and I drove down to Lawrence, KS on this date in 1996. I don't remember if they had a purpose other than "me" in going there or not. Hmmm...I'll have to ask the next time I see them.

Anyway...so we drove down to Lois' hometown and I surprised her at a special restaurant where she expected to meet her sister. From there we drove to a beautiful housing development where we walked the boardwalks, talked, and eventually I found the courage to ask the big question!

We've been together since 1992--and you'd think that by now we've have it all figured out. Truth is--we're still learning how to love one another. Sometimes when we've had one of those times when our love has been tested, I ask her if she'll marry me. I know it sounds a little weird--and I fess up to that. But I have a good reason.

I don't ask because I'm particularly insecure. Neither do I ask because sometime I expect her to change her mind and say, "No". 

I ask because I want Lois to always know that if I had to do it all over again...I'd still pick her. It's my little way of refreshing and renewing my decision to choose her and reject all others. Is it corny? Maybe. But do I mean it?? Every single time.

2 comments:

Kim & Dave said...

What a sweet post, Jeremy! & yes, I do believe you got a winner!!!

1996!?!? WHERE has the time gone? I guess you did get married in Dec of '96, right?

Lois said...

YES!! There has never been a doubt in my mind. I am so blessed to have you as my one and only. Thanks for the sweet post.