Thursday, April 16, 2009

King of Love - Bob Jones University Singers and Orchestra

If you like traditional, conservative music head on over to SacredAudio.com and check out the great selection. You can purchase CDs the "old-fashioned" way, but many are also offered as MP3 downloads. 

I recently purchased the King of Love CD (via MP3 download) and have been listening to it ever since! The album features the Bob Jones University Singers and Orchestra performing a number of wonderful selections. My favorites (so far) are Be Thou My Vision, The Holy Heart, and the title track--The King of Love My Shepherd Is. Some of you will recognize the tune for that one as we used it on the "Finally Home" page for Frank Brown.

The arrangements are simply spectacular--Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness comes to mind, which beautifully blends two different tunes and (I believe) two different time signatures. Also the arrangement of Amazing Grace features a tune other than the traditional one. Try it--you'll like it!

I'll admit--I didn't really know choral arrangements were my thing until I found this CD. If they're not your thing--I also found a great barbershop quartet that I bookmarked for purchase at a later date!

At the risk of having this post run on a bit too long--I'm going to post the moving lyrics for the title track. Be encouraged, sheep of His pasture, our Good Shepherd--our King of Love is faithfully shepherding!

The King of love my Shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never,
I nothing lack if I am His
And He is mine forever.

Where streams of living water flow
My ransomed soul He leadeth,
And where the verdant pastures grow,
With food celestial feedeth.

Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
But yet in love He sought me,
And on His shoulder gently laid,
And home, rejoicing, brought me.

In death’s dark vale I fear no ill
With Thee, dear Lord, beside me;
Thy rod and staff my comfort still,
Thy cross before to guide me.

Thou spread’st a table in my sight;
Thy unction grace bestoweth;
And O what transport of delight
From Thy pure chalice floweth!

And so through all the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never;
Good Shepherd, may I sing Thy praise
Within Thy house forever.

2 comments:

Melissa Gail said...

Thank you for this! I've have now "favorited" the website because there are so many great song arrangments on it! I love how the song "King of Love" is similar to Psalm 23, especially the last stanza:
And so through all
the length of days
Thy goodness faileth never;
Good Shepherd, may I sing
Thy praise
Within Thy house forever.

Kim & Dave said...

what a great hymn!!!