Sunday, April 12, 2009

Arise, My Love

If I had to select my favorite resurrection hymn, I'd pick Low in the Grave He Lay.

But if I was picking a favorite resurrection "song", I'd pick Arise, My Love by Newsong. I heard it first on this CD when I was much younger. If you prefer live recordings, Newsong has since recorded it on their Rescue CD. Also, The Acappella Company recorded an acappella (obviously) arrangement of it which I've also enjoyed.

The song never ceases to touch me--especially at the big crescendo when we hear "the grave could not hold the King."

What is your favorite resurrection hymn or song? Let me know in the comments

Arise, My Love

Not a word was heard at the tomb that day.
Just shuffling of soldiers feet as they guarded the grave.
One day, two days, three days had past.
Could it be that Jesus breathed his last?

Could it be that his Father had forsaken him?
Turned his back on His Son, dispising our sin.
All hell seemed to whisper, "Just forget it, He's dead."
Then the Father looked down to His Son and said..

CHORUS:
Arise, My Love.
Arise, My Love.
The grave no longer has a hold on You
No more death's sting
No more suffering
Arise...Arise...My Love.

The Earth trembled and the tomb began to shake,
and like lightening from Heaven,
The stone was rolled away.
And like dead men the guards they all stood there in fright
As the power of love displayed its might

Suddenly a melody filled the air
Riding wings of wind, it was everywhere
The words all creation had been longing to hear.
The sweet sound of victory, so loud and clear. (CHORUS)

Sin, where are your shackles?
Death, where is your sting?
Hell has been defeated.
The grave could not hold the King. (CHORUS)

3 comments:

Kim & Dave said...

AMEN, Jeremy!!!

kathy said...

Wow! My favorite 'old' hymn is also "Christ Arose". But I have a 'newer' hymn that has become a favorite also. It's called "See, What a Morning" (Resurrection Hymn)
Words and Music by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend. I posted the words on my blog. I can only imagine what it was like, that morning, for the women when they arrived at the tomb and found it EMPTY. HE IS RISEN!! HE IS RISEN INDEED!!!

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

Nice, hadn't heard that song in long time, that's defiantly a good one! Not sure if I quite have a favorite but enjoyed singing 'Because He Lives' this year as it reminds me of singing it at my Grandpa's funeral. "Because He lives I can face tomorrow...
Because I know He holds the future, And life is worth the living just because He lives!" We were talking about all the wonderful resurrection hymns we sang yesterday and the girls favorite was "Hear the Bells Ringing" and especially this part at the end.. "Joy to the world! He is risen! Hallelujah!
He's risen! Hallelujah!
He's risen - hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah!"